JRH Products

poison ivy? and old medicine

we are cutting up wind blown trees and limbs and dragging off limbs and debris with chains, FEL, and tractors.
    it's been hot. and humid...
    the gloves go on and then off.
    long sleeve shirts would be a good idea but too hot..
    resulting in

lots of scratches, and small punctures and poison ivy? oak?

the antibiotic cream has sure helped the scratches and punctures.

the clear poison ivy stuff is working as good as it normally does... bottle looked fine.
    date was 2013.... glad we didn't throw it away!

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just curious RR...What is the "clear poison ivy stuff"? Was it a Rx or OTC and what is the active ingredient? For severe, larger areas, cases of poison ivy I will Rx an oral steroid, usually starting around 40mg-60mg for three days then taper down 10mg-20mg every three days. For less severe, smaller area, a strong topical steroid will usually do the job....
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Blog Entries
    This makes me itch again.......itchy. lol.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

poison ivy treatment is
    swan anti-itch lotion. ingredients - pramoxine and zinc acetate
    OTC i think... nothing on the label indicates it was a prescription.

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    poison ivy treatment is
    swan anti-itch lotion. ingredients - pramoxine and zinc acetate
    OTC i think... nothing on the label indicates it was a prescription.
    Okay, thanks RR....Pramoxine (probably 1%) is an anti-itch agent and that's all it will do is calm the itch some, which is a good start. Add in an anti-inflammatory agent (topical or oral steroid) and its even better. OTC steroid would be hydrocortisone. It comes in two strengths 0.5% and 1%, so look at the label and make sure you get the 1%. Of course, oral steroid or a Rx topical steroid much stronger than the OTC hydrocortisone would be better if you can get it. There are many different strengths of topical steroids, Class 1 (super potent) to Class 7 (OTC hydrocortisone). I will usually Rx a super potent topical steroid and oral steroid for severe cases and for more mild cases just the super potent topical steroid. If you tell your doc that you work in the woods and sometimes "get into itchy things" they may be willing to give you a medium potent tube for a just in case moment....Most PCP like and feel comfortable Rx-ing one called triamcinolone 0.1% to use twice a day for 2 weeks (80gm tube). That would be better than the OTC one and the cost is like $4.00 if you paid cash at Wally World....

Just my 2 cents....
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

thanks patriotic.
    i need to add a few more to the storage room!