JRH Products

Thread: Infection....

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Infection....

Okay, about 5 days ago while bathing, i felt a bump in my right arm pit. It was tender, and when I looked it was red. It was the size of a large green grape. It was not there the day before. Upon inspection I determined it was a cyst, inflamed (I am in medicine as a provider). I have never had a cyst before. I quickly went to my drug closet and broke out an antibiotic, doxycycline, and started on that. Now five days latter it is almost gone, smaller than a pea. The moral of the story...it doesn’t take long for things like this to get started. I guess I had about 24-48 hours before it would have been big problem, big pain, big infection....and would have likely been a raging boil. My doxycycline was a year old....get some doxycycline as it is a good all around antibiotic. Not perfect for everything but a go to for many things. In todays world you could just get to a urgent care or PCP or Dermatology, but in a SHTF world antibiotics will be very helpful.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

www.kraftdrug.com

The blue doxy pills I give our fish look exactly the same as the blue doxy pills I have been prescribed before. My fish say they work the same also.

On the boil- is there a time/rationale for when to cut it open, like when it gets so big, etc? Or maybe because of the location (underarm right??) is it a no go due to higher risk of infection there?

Is there a protocol for when to cut and drain and when not to?

I've cut a few off my brother, some golf ball size, always use Lidocaine, he still cries like a baby girl... and he's still alive, think so anyway LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    LD3, great question. My protocol, is my own based on 20 years of doing it.

One is size and location. Just like always be aware of what is behind the target you are shooting at, be aware of what is under or behind the boil/abscess. The size also plays a role as if its a pea sized inflamed boil on the buttocks, vs a softball size on the posterior cervical spine.

Feel, yes you have to feel things in medicine. If it is soft and boggy feeling, red (erythema), and painful, it gets lanced. You can have a boil that is only mildly inflamed, but hard that I will defer the incision & drainage (I&D) and start the patient on antibiotics and see them back in three days. Some of these will get better, and after three days some will then be boggy and need to be incised (lanced).

Timing. Well you cannot predict a cyst or boil (medical name furuncle). I literally have seen patients that tell me that they have had a cyst for 20+ years. Then two week later they are back in and its all inflamed and ready to be incised and drained. I was lucky, I take a shower at least daily...lol, and I noticed it quickly. I really believe that as fast as it showed up, it would have been a real problem in 2 days at the most.

As far as the pain of the I&D, the pus in the abcess will neutralize the lidocaine to some degree. Main thing is to anesthetize the skin where you will make the incision. Find the center of the boggy area and make the incision there. If it is a large abscess, they will always feel you pushing and squeezing. Everyones pain tolerances are different.

Feel free to ask further questions....or watch Dr. Pimple Popper...I have never seen her, as I live it, but my staff says she is pretty good to watch. She apparently is on YT and now has a TV show, but don't know the channel. Who knew that people would love to watch an abscess be drained. What the TV dosen't give you is smell vision. They can have a horrific smell, so me prepared.

Hope this help....
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotic Sheepdog View Post
    LD3, great question. My protocol, is my own based on 20 years of doing it.

One is size and location. Just like always be aware of what is behind the target you are shooting at, be aware of what is under or behind the boil/abscess. The size also plays a role as if its a pea sized inflamed boil on the buttocks, vs a softball size on the posterior cervical spine.

Feel, yes you have to feel things in medicine. If it is soft and boggy feeling, red (erythema), and painful, it gets lanced. You can have a boil that is only mildly inflamed, but hard that I will defer the incision & drainage (I&D) and start the patient on antibiotics and see them back in three days. Some of these will get better, and after three days some will then be boggy and need to be incised (lanced).

Timing. Well you cannot predict a cyst or boil (medical name furuncle). I literally have seen patients that tell me that they have had a cyst for 20+ years. Then two week later they are back in and its all inflamed and ready to be incised and drained. I was lucky, I take a shower at least daily...lol, and I noticed it quickly. I really believe that as fast as it showed up, it would have been a real problem in 2 days at the most.

As far as the pain of the I&D, the pus in the abcess will neutralize the lidocaine to some degree. Main thing is to anesthetize the skin where you will make the incision. Find the center of the boggy area and make the incision there. If it is a large abscess, they will always feel you pushing and squeezing. Everyones pain tolerances are different.

Feel free to ask further questions....or watch Dr. Pimple Popper...I have never seen her, as I live it, but my staff says she is pretty good to watch. She apparently is on YT and now has a TV show, but don't know the channel. Who knew that people would love to watch an abscess be drained. What the TV dosen't give you is smell vision. They can have a horrific smell, so me prepared.

Hope this help....
    I watched some of her early YouTube stuff.
    It's like watching an extruder..........or better yet sour cream in the bag LMAO.
    My 1st response was " ohhhh.....that's gotta stank " lol
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

So the probably old school "raising a wheel" around with lidocaine shouldn't be down with boils?

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    "raising a wheel" is what you do when you put the anesthesia in the area where you are making a puncture/incision. If it is a really, angry, red, swollen, painful abscess, then it will hurt the patient no matter what. The technique for expressing the contents takes A LOT of pressure sometimes. Many times the patient does not complain about the incision, they complain about all the manipulation I am doing. If this occurs, just stop for 15-30 seconds to rest and massage the surrounding tissue to maybe loosen up the material. Also, making a larger incision sometimes helps. I would say, most times an incision of 1/4 inch is sufficient.

NO 10-289!