JRH Products
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How's your garden doing?

We missed the short window here for cooler weather plants this year. But we got tomatoes, peppers, egg plant, zucchini in. And just a bit later beans and corn.

Haven't worked the earth with my hands in a while, was good to get back to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Administrator
    The winter plants are toast, but I got tomatoes, peppers, bush beans, and squash in early and they're all doing very well. I just picked up more tomato plants, Poblano and green bell peppers, and eggplant plants this morning. The variety available at Home Depot was terrible. If I wanted aloe or mosquito plants, they were available in the dozens.

20garden2.jpg20garden1.jpg

Two applications of hay/manure mix mulch, gift from the cows.

Soil has been at rest in this spot for many years. The rest seems to have done it well. The sweet corn will tell the tale of that being a heavy feeder.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Administrator
    That looks great!! I wish I had room for more, but my garden is smaller this year (since I gave some up to make a motorhome driveway - when we get a new storage building, we'll be able to move that driveway to the other side of the yard).

My first spaghetti squash is out and I'm so excited (first year growing them)! I've got a few green beefsteak tomatoes, and lots of pepper and bean flowers. I'm going to put in zucchini and summer squash, then I'm done (I think) - and onions!

I've been eyeing my tropical garden and I think I might be able to sneak a few veggie and herb plants in there.
    Last edited by wwdnet; 05-02-2020 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Addition

A late freeze took out the buds from the fruit trees...maybe next year. I waited to put out the tomato seedlings. The plants look good. The potato plants got frost on the tips of the leaves but are doing outstanding. It seems that the plants like all of the rain and mild temps. For some reason the beans will not come up from seed. Second batch of seeds, no-go. Squash seeds the same. Not warm enough to germinate outdoors?

gardening got dropped this year... conflicts.

then the wife started setting out large plastic planters (big "buckets") and asking for dirt and mulch.
    our mulch pile was large and mostly several years old from tree trimming chips.

i was amazed at how quickly the lettuce appeared.
    peppers, tomatoes, etc... are coming on strong... just will be small production.

one thing that is working great is the small, pitiful looking blueberries we bought. they too went to the plastic buckets.
    our high producing blueberry bushes are getting old and production is dropping... the blueberry bushes have really improved in the rich environment they have... they will be replanted.

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gardening...well, I started a garden this year...kept it very small as my yard has changed quite a bit due to trees taken down, fences put up, etc. Planted some seeds from a Survival Pack that had been opened about 5 years ago, but kept sealed and stored in a cool, dark place. Only had about 10% of the plants sprout outside. I then quickly ordered new heirloom seeds and have about a 80%-100% sprouting so far. I planted in the same place and soil as the old seeds. New seeds help with growth, lol. Keeping a diary this time around. Will expand with the next garden.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Administrator
    I was checking the garden this morning and, lo and behold, I spotted a nice red tomato - my first ripe tomato this year. I picked it, puttered around in the garden restaking and re-supporting plants, checking the almost-ready-to-pick bush beans and a this close || to ripe spaghetti squash, then headed into the kitchen to put my prize on the window sill. I'm hoping the tomatoes will continue to ripen so I can stop buying them at the grocery store.

I replanted the zucchini and summer squash in some fresh dirt, since my originals didn't sprout (durn 8-year-old seeds), so I keep looking to see if I'm getting any action. Everything else is looking great! Speaking of the garden, I need to turn on the irrigation system!

Administrator
    Finally! My zucchini and summer squash are finally sprouting - I didn't think they would ever start growing. As soon as I break open my spaghetti squash, I'm going to dry the seeds and then replant. Tomorrow we're going to the flea market and I'll pick up a few vegetables at the farmer's market. Can't wait to have my own!!

Blog Entries
    Got ours up a going maybe 2 months back.
    Planted similar stuff.
    Beans ,corn okra, carrots, zuchs,squash
    My asparagus hasnt done much this year.
    Peppers are going mad. Sweet potatoes are looking good. Tomatoes we will see. I dumped some open 2012 seed packets out in my old compist heap. Looks to be 20 plants, so well see how it goes.
    The fruits are doing well. Blueberries like crazy , blacl berries are coming in strong. And it looks like by fall we will have grapes and pineapple.
    Not a good pic.
    20200516_131041.jpg

Fruit trees are doing meh.
    Citrus is coming through, peach is hanging on.
    Mulberry tree grew 4 ft over the last few months.
    Herbs are doing well
    20200409_175449.jpg
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!