JRH Products
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Protus- What kind of blueberries?

Do you have enough pollinators for your fruit trees?

You need some bees homey!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    Protus- What kind of blueberries?

Do you have enough pollinators for your fruit trees?

You need some bees homey!
    Cantvrecal. Only have like 6 plants. Last year and this year they've produced fairly well. I may plant more since the wife likes them.
    I lost a few of my fruit trees over winter and to imho high water table.( peaches).
    There seems to a good amount of bees here( few lots over iirc someone had a few hives )We have a wide varity of flowering stuff here and even have flowers in part of the garden.
    Biggest issue is poor dirt lol ..aka sand. Im going to add bigger orangics to it this fall. Leaves,grass clippings over the years aint doing it. Im gonna lay in mulch or just collect all the tree limbs that fall and just use that.
    Sides poor soil, over watering due to the water table from oct to feb hurts. Constant issues with fungus,molds etc.
    But thats Florida in this area.
    I can grow the heck outta beans and hot chilis though lol.
    Well see how this season fairs...
    Got chickens up and running again so least we'll have that going strong in a few months..
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Protus, throwing the old seeds in the compost is a GREAT idea. I wish I had thought of that earlier. I will try that next year with all of my old seeds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foster View Post
    Protus, throwing the old seeds in the compost is a GREAT idea. I wish I had thought of that earlier. I will try that next year with all of my old seeds.
    We started doing it once we got the mystery garden after cleaning out the chicken pen. Lol.
    Be surprised how much grows from chicken s##$ lol.
    I had the biggest datil peppers ever 2 years ago from it.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Administrator
    My tomato plants were put in 2 feet apart and they're over-running each other. The bush beans are ready to pick. All of my pepper plants are in flower with only one pepper actually growing right now. I have one eggplant that I planted.Everything looks extremely healthy this year. the garden is much smaller this year but this is the first time I actually have this much growing without having any root knot nematode issues.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wwdnet View Post
    Finally! My zucchini and summer squash are finally sprouting - I didn't think they would ever start growing. As soon as I break open my spaghetti squash, I'm going to dry the seeds and then replant. Tomorrow we're going to the flea market and I'll pick up a few vegetables at the farmer's market. Can't wait to have my own!!
    Throw me a life preserver - my garden is drowning😂 Everything is wet, wet, wet from all the Cristobal rain. Pulled the last of the bush beans and replanted. Picked a few more tomatoes (they're ripening in shifts), and spotted a nice Poblano pepper with a little brother. I already picked and used 2 green bell peppers, with about 7 more plants still to produce. I have 9 squash plants, a couple of which are just starting to get blossoms and the rest are smaller. I see some yellow tomato plant leaves, presumably from too much water. My eggplant flowers are out now.

Are your gardens surviving all this rain??

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wwdnet View Post
    Throw me a life preserver - my garden is drowning�� Everything is wet, wet, wet from all the Cristobal rain. Pulled the last of the bush beans and replanted. Picked a few more tomatoes (they're ripening in shifts), and spotted a nice Poblano pepper with a little brother. I already picked and used 2 green bell peppers, with about 7 more plants still to produce. I have 9 squash plants, a couple of which are just starting to get blossoms and the rest are smaller. I see some yellow tomato plant leaves, presumably from too much water. My eggplant flowers are out now.

Are your gardens surviving all this rain??
    Now my garden is burning up, with temps around 100F every day. My poor squash plants lost a lot of blossoms during the heavy rains and searing sun, so I'll probably replant them. I have a lot of tomatoes that I threw in the freezer to can at the end of summer. Peppers are still growing and the second batch of green beans is coming along. Lots of eggplant blossoms but no eggplant yet. I'm trying to water twice a day (morning and evening) to keep everything from shriveling up and dying!

another plug for mulch from chips.
    i know this is a controversial subject.. but.. try it..
    we got real interested in wood chips... chipped up some limbs on my own.. then saw the road/power line crews out working and cleaning up overhanging limbs... so i stopped and inquired about where they dump... they advised they had to drive back to big city and dump... i **** my garden spot available.. they were happy. no costs in gas or in fees...

folks, the negative on this subject that i hear is "well, the chips decomposing burn up all your nitrogen."
    i'm no pro.. but i think nitrogen turns plants green...

the grass around the decomposing area is green, better than anywhere else we have. the grass that is coming up in the chipped area.. is deep dark green. and healthier than elsewhere, measurably. i don't know what makes it so green. but it sho' is...

try it. you'll like it!

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    sun caught some of my squash as well
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotic Sheepdog View Post
    sun caught some of my squash as well
    Of my 9 squash plants, only one looks like it might actually produce. Tomorrow I'll go to the garden center and get some plants or, if they have none, I'll get some seeds. I cleared a large area that hadn't been planted and had gotten overrun with weeds after all the rain so I'm going to replant there. Tomatoes have been producing but are obviously nearing the end of their lifespan, so I'll pick up a few more of those too. Looks like we have monsoons for the next few days, so plants can sit on the porch.