JRH Products

Thread: coin shortage

coin shortage

i've seen signs in multiple businesses saying .
    coin shortage
    if using cash please pay with exact change ....

i thought this was mostly a joke... or some stupid fluke..
    maybe some preparedness guys wanted to load up on coins because
    they think the dollar bills with strings in them were evil or something.

or they put the sign up so that the store could limit contact with paper money.. my guess of the real reason.

i don't like to use credit cards for small purchases... that's what cash is for... and supposedly the store pays a % fee for having the credit
    card company handle the processing... i do like it for larger purchases... i get a few pennies back ion each purchase if i use a card.

so why? why is there a shortage.... any of you guys been cleaning out all the local banks of the coin? stashing it in your hidden rooms?

is it intentional. to force the population to use plastic to aid in tracking what everyone is doing? getting paranoid?

A couple of months ago, cash was dirty and one could get covid from handling it, plastic would be better. Suddenly, coins are in short supply and plastic should be used. What will the next excuse be?

We were just out in Arkansas and having dinner at a Chilis a server told us out there they had banks that were paying "price plus 10%" on any coins brought into a bank.

I've seen national news articles of price plus 5%

Good way to get rid of any of those nickels you might have stockpiled from rawles ridiculous idea that nickels would be the new pre-65 silver coins. Damn sure better chance of gaining 5% turning those back into a bank versus hoping for some crazy scenario at some point.

I think we can all envision a day when cash is almost outlawed. Whole generations are growing up swiping cards for $1.25 bag of candy at the C stores and using "cash app" to pay bills, etc.

Recently for my other business had an insurance agent offer to pay a 5 digit invoice with "cash app." I said "a check will be fine."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Interesting aside that likely will NOT amount to much but .....
    A legal firm is filing with the DOJ against KROGER for debauching the American currency by not accepting cash.
    Cash is legal tender for debts.
    Digital is not (legally).
    Wonder what will come of that since it would really screw up the big attempts to eliminate cash and go to totally digital.

Don't have any more info than what I put above.
    Something to think about.

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    prc-104...funny that you post that above. My spouse was just at lunch with a couple of her girlfriends and the restaurant declined her cash payment. She was told, "we only accept cards". My wife said, I don't have another form of payment (she is a rebel as she has plenty of cards she could use). The waitress had to get the manager who said, "we will accept it today, but this is the last time".

So I asked my wife:
    1. Do they have the regular menu? Yes they do she said...
    2. Was the waitress wearing gloves? No she wasn't she said...
    well, then if I touch the menu and the waitress picks up the menu, how is that different then me handing her a $20 bill?
    And if cash was so much of a vector, then why are banks still cashing checks, and 7-11 clerks are not ending up in the hospital every day with COVID-19?

There are idiots out there and the guberment skools has turned the brains of kids into slush, and MSM has done the same to adults, so nobody does any critical thinking....
    We all know that they want not just 60% of things paid for by cards, but 100% so they can control the use of that card...no COVID vaccine Mr. Smith, well we just closed down your cards....
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Someone that I know said that when he is confronted with the correct change only line, he does this. If the bill is say $20.19, he will give them a $20 dollar bill and the $0.19 goes on his card...knowing it will cost the establishment a charge for using the card. If a lot of people do this “rounding-up” strategy, it should stop this feces quickly.

Administrator
    There is no coin shortage. I use cash often and get coins for change (which go immediately into my piggy bank that I can't even pick up).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foster View Post
    Someone that I know said that when he is confronted with the correct change only line, he does this. If the bill is say $20.19, he will give them a $20 dollar bill and the $0.19 goes on his card...knowing it will cost the establishment a charge for using the card. If a lot of people do this “rounding-up” strategy, it should stop this feces quickly.
    That's a great idea. We have a decent processing rate and it's still just around 2% plus a $.10 transaction fee.

I'm assuming huge volume places like Walmart probably pay less than half those rates, but still, it's a darn good idea!

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Yep, maximization of digital currency.
    Sociaiist maximization of society.
    Just like Venezuela.
    You got a paycheck BUT it went to the bank.
    You went to the bank to get your pay.
    They took out your taxes, all of your bills, your cost of living adjustment and then you got what was left, which was usually about 20% of your paycheck total.
    And that was assuming they had enough cash to give you what you were going to get.