JRH Products

satellites, antennas, portability

elsewhere i've posted about difficulties with dish tv problems... and service, but in the meantime,

the following involves getting a tv signal from dish, using both a ground mount and a portable, unit brand name tailgater.

i've met some real smart installers. (and i expect the youngsters amongst us already know all this and could explain it better. i hope they do)

as an example:
    the flood is coming and you are bugging out for your rural hideout. unhook your dish antennae, grab your receiver and a length of the connecting wire. then when you get to your cabin, you can reinstall said items and keep your incoming info stream... the secret is finding a spot that you can aim the antenna and let it connect to the satellite.. two comments, what i've thought is that in our area the satellites are "due south."
    i learned today that in our area some of the best are south/southwest.
    --
    finding the satellites can be a problem... unless...
    --
    you've got a Tailgater.. ( brand name for a small dome shaped antennae that looks for the satellite. actually the dome is just the housing for an antennae that is rotated by a small motor. )
    3+ years ago, i bought a used one, manufactured in 2015. put it in a barn, and it hasn't been used since.
    following a conversation with a fellow, today, i disconnected the ground mount and connected the tailgater.
    i set it out in the open with no tall trees or barns nearby. it found 2? satellites to the south/southwest all on it's lonesome... i used a receiver that dish already knew about and **** no calls to dish to validate/authenticate it's use...

next effort... dish is advertising that they can provide "blazing fast internet." i don't know how they do that.. but hoping that it is through the same satellites? anybody knowledgeable out there?

i've seen a few deals offerred by campers... they are selling their camper and selling the antennae, receiver, wiring etc... for a cheap price. at campgrounds, i've seen folks set up homeowner type antennas. but primarily they have the tailgater types...
    Last edited by rockriver; 10-24-2020 at 01:36 PM. Reason: clarify this is for tv installation

The Dish internet installer used a little device must have been a signal strength type meter and he moved it's orientation to where the unit beeped then locked it in place.

This is JUST internet so it might be different for tv.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

manual dish install as done today has to be able to see and report on 3 satellites.
    Plus a temporary adapter at your receiver along with the alignment device
    Once setup, the adaptor and the alignment device gets pulled.
    Costs some money but I'm glad I picked them up.

The rv/tailgater automatic tracking unit is nice.
    Now you got me looking for one. LOL

Actually, what I did at the ranch was got a dish setup and mounted permanently and ran the cable.
    So I just grab the receiver and take it up there.
    This may have changed but at the ranch with a full time receiver, it's gotta have electricity for checking with mama.
    if I wasn't up there for two weeks and then went back up, I had to call via phone and reauthorize the receiver.
    it was easy but if the cellular didn't connect, it got very upsetting.
    YMMV
    Last edited by prc-104; 10-24-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Administrator
    I'd like to get a Tailgater but I already know my husband is going to choke when he sees the grocery bill

As long as he doesn't choke while eating those groceries.
    I suspect he'll appreciate the ability to actually HAVE CHOW.
    YMMV LOL

Administrator
    Oh yeah - eating is one of his favorite pastimes! We're in no danger of starving...but I did order some Hoppes cuz I'm almost out

Going to pick up some Parmalat when I go to get milk this week. I don't know where I'll put it, but I'll find a tiny space somewhere!