JRH Products
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

where do you put them?

this comment opens the door to all sorts of associated comments...
    all valid...
    but an old memory and question has hung with me...
    ---
    years ago, i visited with an old farmer and he helped us do some early prepping... as we were leaving, i told him that if things ever got bad in his area, he and the family i'd met were invited to head to our place.. he let me know real quick but friendly. "not going to happen, we've already got several backup locations set up... wow, i was impressed. that sentence sure didn't apply to us...
    --
    i have some kin and some long time friends that would put us up for a short term, but generally not long term..
    --
    here's one of the questions that come up when i consider the offer i made to the farmer.
    where would we put folks if they came to our abode... what do we have in place today so that we could get folks out of the weather if trusted associates showed up? (y'all know we live in a condo with very limited space... ! but,)
    what if... we had a little house with a couple of acres and a couple of sheds

using our what if ... options:
    1. an rv. of some type, a camper trailer, pop up,
    2. a shed or barn could provide housing, maybe yours has got electricity, maybe insulation. maybe even some plumbing.
    3. the house, in the book, Patriots, they packed a bunch of folks in a small house
    4. tents. canopies, tarps, as i type this water is overflowing the creek banks here at the condo. the ground is real boggy everywhere.
    if we had folks in a tent, they would be living in mud city... at a minimum, tent would need to be on top of a pallet or some sort of lifted floor... ahh, if we had a carport with concrete floor, maybe a couple of tents could be there. that would get them out of the mud... !

Administrator
    We have a motorhome but it's not connected to water or sewer as it sits right now. We have one guest room that serves as my storage area, so it's pretty tight. Visitors could stay in the MH, but that would require moving it to the front yard to hook into water, sewer. The electrical hookup is in the backyard...

At our last BOL, I considered this septic system for my camper that was located on the property 150 ft. from the house. https://www.wikihow.com/Construct-a-Small-Septic-System

Someone told me that the pains of a permit were much less than the cost of getting caught without a permit. I doubt that the county would approve such as system.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foster View Post
    At our last BOL, I considered this septic system for my camper that was located on the property 150 ft. from the house. https://www.wikihow.com/Construct-a-Small-Septic-System

Someone told me that the pains of a permit were much less than the cost of getting caught without a permit. I doubt that the county would approve such as system.
    Somehow I think it would be less troublesome (legally) to just install a 30-amp plug in the front of the house where water and sewer already exist. We do have water in the backyard (from the well) but it doesn't run continuously.

Good recommendation,
    But I'd suggest a 50amp outlet to handle the newer rigs and easily adapts down to a 30amp or 20 amp via adapter cable which are common.
    Better to plan on more amps that you may need in lieu of having less amps and needing more.

prc great idea...

or put in a normal pedestal... 50, 30 and 20
    might have a couple of rv's show up...

2 texas associates came to georgia just before the storm hit in texas.
    1 has a 2nd home in georgia (thinking about the location it's a pretty good BOL..)
    the other is currently in a mid ga.. rv park as i type this...

hmm. i need to call them!

Pedestal, yes but.....
    Then you need a 50amp 220 breaker for the 50 amp
    A 30 amp breaker for the 30 amp
    A 20 amp breaker for the 20 amp
    and a 100 amp breaker in the power box feeding the pedestal
    And that gets into a LOT more installation cost and requires heavier wires.
    That's why I stuck with a single 50 amp box and adapters.

prc, all,
    this is a great example of someone who spoke without any knowledge. (me)
    and
    someone who knows what they are talking about!

and your last sentence is exactly what my electrical guru did.
    my job was to run that heavier duty wire through some plastic piping (gray pvc?) from point a to point b and he would come hook it all up...now i remember why! doing what we did was expensive. adding the extra parts you mentioned would have made it even more so...

thanks..

My pleasure,
    Sharing info is what families do.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by prc-104 View Post
    Good recommendation,
    But I'd suggest a 50amp outlet to handle the newer rigs and easily adapts down to a 30amp or 20 amp via adapter cable which are common.
    Better to plan on more amps that you may need in lieu of having less amps and needing more.
    We maxed out our panel with the workshop running the generator and the motorhome. I'm not sure adding a 50amp and then using a 30amp adapter is feasible at this point, unless we upgrade our incoming main, already at 200 amps. The motorhome will likely stay in the backyard where it has power and a water supply to fill the freshwater tank. We can pull it up front to dump the gray and black tanks as needed. That's easier than having to mess with the electric company at this point.