JRH Products

Tractor/equipment PM

Piggybacking off the post RR just made.

A couple of notes regarding this.

1. Buy the maintenance manuals (service) for the piece of equipment. Both the little user guide that shows how to operate and check fluids as well as the big high dollar one with exploded diagrams, etc. The actual SHOP type manual like that will likely set you back $200 or more. The last one I purchased from JD was that.

Or if your a net only type, you can probably find exploded diagrams, etc. online.

2. The nice thing about having the physical books is the notes I write in them. Filter part numbers, alternate for now hard to find fluids "Dextron II" etc. and most importantly service notes.

I am at best a casual user of heavy equipment and while I THINK I use my equipment a lot, the hour meters show that to not be the case. These notes help you in many ways.

Recently I had just done some other service to the power shuttle on my backhoe and had some friends re pack a cylinder for me. I was thinking to myself- it's likely time to change the oil in the backhoe again. I pulled my book, looked at that section and saw my notes. "Old" (previous backhoe) and "New" (current) both had notes of filter model number (different despite being same model backhoe) as well as hours on machine and date. I confirmed this via the date that was written in magic marker on the filter itself. Well darn... I had only racked up about 15 hours of use since the last oil change. That saved me some time I don't have and some money.

Noting the exact filter model numbers for oil, air, fuel, transaxle, hydraulic, etc. saves trips to town. Your local Napa, etc. may give you the wrong filter or like the above notation, there may be slight differences in filters for the same model just a few years apart or other slight variants.

I also try to plan out work that involves tracked equipment where it creates the least "travel" necessary. It's that time of the year again where our range starts to get dry enough to take the equipment off the hill and get back to work on range expansion. That means a 400 yard walk for some of the tracked equipment. I baby my stuff cause it's expensive.

So I make a list of things I want to do "along the way" to the major work. Rip out some trees for a new parking area closer to the square range, make some small berms along the big berm to protect the pop up targets, clean out the berm near the 100 yard range, stockpile some dirt near there for fill, etc. This saves the equipment "going back and forth" to work areas which saves travel which saves wear and tear on tracks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

great suggestions ld3...

and admission of jealousy... and a tip of the head and tip of the hat... saluting the backhoe purchase and use.

hmm... if i don't buy one, i'll save the interest and can save up some money and shop for a good deal in the meantime... is my thought process.
    howsomeever,, they are going up in price, i can't make any interest at the bank, and the purchasing power of the $$ is going down... sometimes i feel like scrooge..

it's easy to type. "go getcha one" but it's hard to turn loose those $$ that i worked so hard to obtain and/or hard to sign those loan papers

My 2 cents. While working on cars/trucks, I saw that the manufacturer will call for special purpose xyz-123 fluid. A little research in the aftermarket shows xyz-123 is 10w-30 non detergent engine oil. In automatic transmissions, Dexron 6 is backwards compatible with Dexron 2. All this is moot while vehicles/machinery is under warranty. Keep receipts for DIY maintenance.

Administrator
    and admission of jealousy... and a tip of the head and tip of the hat... saluting the backhoe purchase and use.
    I won't mention this to my husband, who thinks he really needs a backhoe for "something"!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foster View Post
    My 2 cents. While working on cars/trucks, I saw that the manufacturer will call for special purpose xyz-123 fluid. A little research in the aftermarket shows xyz-123 is 10w-30 non detergent engine oil. In automatic transmissions, Dexron 6 is backwards compatible with Dexron 2. All this is moot while vehicles/machinery is under warranty. Keep receipts for DIY maintenance.
    Definitely long out of warranty.

I was told "Dextron III replaced Dextron II" and to use that which is supposed to be on par with Case TCH fluid.

They all want you to use THEIR specific fluid, which I understand and would if it was readily available at all.

Also, can't say for other equipment, but someone put DOT 3 brake fluid in the brake system of this backhoe. It specifically says DO NOT USE Dot 3 brake fluid in the book. It had no brakes. I added the correct fluid, had brakes for about a day and then nothing again. I'm told the DOT 3 probably ruined the lines or a seal or something.

yes ma'am!!
    husband can use this to dig you a hole to transfer your potted plants...
    and sure he can prep your garden space..
    and there are just so many things you will find for him to do.
    --
    hmm.
    he could even dig out a "root cellar" or whatever need you might have for an underground space.
    that electric line that runs from one barn to the other could easily be replaced/repaired with this tool.
    oh ma'am. you wanted water in your greenhouse and the storage area for your camper... this tool could easily
    repair the trench for your new water line... and if you so desired, your husband could dig a drain field to go with your
    new septic tank for the facilities in your camper storage area!

just imagine... in the event of an emergency and your best relatives showed up for "just a few days, till things settled down"
    having water and septic system means you could allow the relatives, to stay in your "shelter" instead of tracking dirt into your
    house!..

i'm practicing my sales pitch.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    yes ma'am!!
    husband can use this to dig you a hole to transfer your potted plants...
    and sure he can prep your garden space..
    and there are just so many things you will find for him to do.
    --
    hmm.
    he could even dig out a "root cellar" or whatever need you might have for an underground space.
    that electric line that runs from one barn to the other could easily be replaced/repaired with this tool.
    oh ma'am. you wanted water in your greenhouse and the storage area for your camper... this tool could easily
    repair the trench for your new water line... and if you so desired, your husband could dig a drain field to go with your
    new septic tank for the facilities in your camper storage area!

just imagine... in the event of an emergency and your best relatives showed up for "just a few days, till things settled down"
    having water and septic system means you could allow the relatives, to stay in your "shelter" instead of tracking dirt into your
    house!..

i'm practicing my sales pitch.
    If I dig down 30", I'm in water...this is Florida; however, he could dig out all of the old "bad" dirt from my garden and load it up with fresh dirt! He can use the bad dirt to cover up the sand in the backyard...

Dot 3 brake fluid. Meh. The difference between Dot 3 and dot 4 is max temperature under severe braking. They can be interchanged and mixed. Toyota/Lexus never changed from 3 as far as I know. Dot 5 is silicone based and not used too often except in auto performance vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foster View Post
    Dot 3 brake fluid. Meh. The difference between Dot 3 and dot 4 is max temperature under severe braking. They can be interchanged and mixed. Toyota/Lexus never changed from 3 as far as I know. Dot 5 is silicone based and not used too often except in auto performance vehicles.
    This recommended fluid for the brakes on the backhoe looks more like a red transmission fluid.